Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Book Reviews


1. The Best Yes by Lysa TerKeurst - "It's not her best book"is something I've heard a lot about this one, but I wouldn't know because I don't really religiously follow Christian writers. If a book sounds like something up my alley, I will read it but I'm not one of those people who will read every single thing by a certain author. That being said, I enjoyed this book very much. I got a lot from it and I think it has helped me to have perspective during the month of January and a good start for 2015.
I've been so caught up in getting Abel to all his appointments that I often forget to slow down and focus on what's really important in our lives. 
Yes. The quote above. Every day. I need to read it over and over again as a reminder to pick and choose what we do throughout the week wisely. When I'm super overwhelmed, I like to ask myself does this activity matter to God? Will it matter in 50 years? That's how I can judge what's important in this life. After God, my little family of five comes first. The book isn't about empowering you to say "no" all the time, but it is about saying "no" when it doesn't line up with what God would have you do. It's about deciphering when God wants you to say "yes" from when you need to say "no"! 
2. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire - I grabbed this book on a whim. I wanted to read something new and there is was at Target, just speaking to me saying "Here's a little light reading. You'll get your fiction fix with me." And sure enough, I did. It's not a wonderful work of art by any stretch of the imagination, but it is good in an elementary sort of way. I know nothing about this author. I could google, I suppose, but I'd rather just make assumptions. Surely she's young? Or perhaps she specializes in the young adult genre? Either way, she came up with a story that I wanted to keep reading. There were times that I was rolling my eyes at the main characters and/or the plot line because much of it seemed so predictable. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't somewhat enjoy this book. 
I'm going to see how many books I can manage to read this year. Typically, I make a goal each year...but this year I have three kids and no pipe dreams of spare time to read. I'm trying to read my bible more instead, but hopefully I'll manage a book a month. I'm right on track!

1 comments:

JG said...

Good for you! You're doing better than me. I haven't read one new book this year. I've heard good things about both of these, glad to hear you enjoyed them :)

Post a Comment

 
Designed By Poppiness Designs