Sunday, October 19, 2014

Elkmont Camping Trip


There's a magical quality when you get to watch your children see the leaves fall in great quantity off the trees around you as the brisk, fresh air fills their lungs. I got to see that this past weekend. Kinley excitedly shouted "Look! Oh, no. We've gotta catch them. We've gotta put them back." I love experiencing common occurrences through the eyes and words of a child, especially mine because I happen to think they're brilliant. It was also pretty incredible to think of all the sounds that Abel was trying to sort through with his new cochlear implants. He happily kept his processors on for the entire camping trip and he got to hear the river rushing close by, the leaves crunching under his feet, the zipping of the tent, bird songs, the crackling of the fire, and so many other sounds that we all take for granted.

I was so nervous to camp with three small children, but I'm glad we did it.

When we first got there, it was dark and we still had to get the tent set up. I sat by the fire and watched the kids as Jordan set to work setting up camp. As we waited, Kinley told me, "I have a pwoblem." I asked him what it was and he said, "Mine daddy is over there and I'm over here." This boy loves his dad. We're lucky to have him.

Merit did great, too! Honestly, he was probably the easiest, laid back babe during the trip. He was perfectly content to stare up at the trees for hours and bundled up at night, he slept for long stretches. Two months old and already camping! He's a little trooper and we love him so.

How was your weekend?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! Such sweetness with Abel being able to hear the sounds that we think are so simple. I can only picture the joy on his face! We've been slightly terrified to take the boys camping. I'll definitely need some pointers of how to survive it and the things you all did! Thanks for sharing :)

Jenn said...

Your little boys are so darn cute! Oh how I miss you all...

JG said...

What a fun adventure. Your boys are so adorable!

Post a Comment

 
Designed By Poppiness Designs